What's an Assessment Blueprint? (and why you should use one)

After my third in-service with Jennifer Sparrow who's the director of teaching and learning at Singapore American School last weekend, I thought I'd share one of my big "take-aways" which an "assessment blueprint" which has been invaluable for designing assessments and learning activities around targeted standards.

What is an Assessment Blueprint?
An assessment blueprint is a document or spreadsheet which has the key verbs of the skills and knowledge that we want students to demonstrate after specific instruction. Although our curriculum is archived and housed in our Atlas Rubicon, the assessment blueprint helps me match up assessments with specific standards and learning activities to learning outcomes. Whereas Atlas Rubicon separates levels 1, 2, and 3 of the learning plan and separate sections for essential questions, skills and knowledge, an assessment blueprint makes lesson planning more streamlined.

In the example below, I've used Depth of Knowledge (DOK) verbs from level 1 to 4 to look for corollary verbs and skills that help me plan learning activities that scaffold up to more ingrained learning outcomes for a unit on simple machines. Blooms taxonomy also works well.




Add "Split Screen" for Helpfulness
What I find is a great web app for lesson planning is "split screen" that allows me to put an assessment blueprint alongside a lesson, assessment or DOK image as I'm developing it.

Comparing an assessment blueprint with DOK learning targets. 

Designing formative assessments with skills as outlined in an assessment blueprint 

Related Posts
Compacting
Scaffolding Benchmarks with Blooms Taxonomy

Comments

Popular Posts